Saturday 6 November 2010

The Seahorse Drift Dive, Selsey 18th September 2010

The Seahorse Drift Dive Selsey 18th September 2010

Again a diving video that has been delayed by sickness and too much diving (could you believe that)!

This was a drift where for the first time I had a real plan to catch some fish. I had even spent money on a hook/spike to catch flatfish. My previous 2 attempts with stabbing a flatfish with my diver’s knife proved to be unsuccessful. The fish proved to be so strong that they lifted me up and then swam down and away. So the spike was on trial!

The drift dive was excellent! 3~4 m viz, three Plaice seen , one small thorn back ray seen, none of these were on video as I was in hunter gatherer mode. Also one very large thornback ray on video but sadly caught in a large net that was along the sea bottom. Too dangerous to try and free as we could have caught as well.

The sight of a monofilament net was rather scary needing to keep clear of it and we had to stay with it as our drift track was almost running inline with it for a while.

The water was very flat with clear blue skies at the time.

I suppose it was the fish catching that made this dive, the sea bottom was rather flat and boring to be honest but that was the type of bottom that the fish like. The 4 fish we caught were all filleted on the day and put in the freezer and the left over bits were dipped in flour and pan fried after the filleting and eaten by all.

This was the first time I had ever filleted a fish and used Youtube to learn the skill. I felt that it was importance to respect the fish by making the best use of it.

I caught it so I had to fillet it!



Or you can follow the link to video website:Seahorse Drift Dive, Selsey

No comments:

Post a Comment