Sunday 28 March 2010

Luis and Bembridge Ledges Drift 21st March 2010

This was my first dive of the year with the newly refurbished Wightdiver. It was a double dive on the Luis off the south west side of the Isle of Wight followed by a drift dive. I hooked up with Terry, Jamie and Graham for the dive. Graham was using a re-breather so we decided to dive as a foursome on the Luis.

I have never dived with another diver using a re-breather although briefed beforehand by diving reflexes kicked in as soon as I was under water much to the annoyance of Graham but he did not say anything.

I drop when descending, usually to keep up with my buddy, which is not the thing to do with a re-breather. The shot line was a bit slack and hence I was hanging lower than Graham as he was changing air mix at 6 metres.

It was black at the bottom and we lost Graham within minutes and only due to the amazing light from Terry’s torch is some of the video any good. Terry caught a lobster during the darkest of dives. Terry, Jamie and I managed to stay together for the whole of the dive some 34 minutes long with the water a toasty 7°C.

The next dive was a drift dive over Bembridge ledges with Graham was just a fun dive. The viz was not great at about 2 metres but the fun part was the numbers of scallops we managed to pick up, interesting for Bembridge ledges. It was less of a drift with almost no tide so more of a slow paddle, really nice all the same. The temperature was still at 7°C and again with the new 5mm gloves and the extra layer under my dry suit we had a 57 min dive.

I can’t say that this video is a real recommendation for UK diving but it is what happens with UK diving from time to time and one has to be taken in one’s stride. The UK dives are interesting, entertaining and fun (?) they just don’t have that WOW factor that ‘blue water diving’ has.

I have found that overseas being a Solent diver is a ‘badge of honour’ with the words “if you can dive in the Solent you can dive anywhere”. Don’t get me wrong my view is that macho divers end up as dead divers, and from that stand point I will, and have, called off a dive when it is not fun.

I feel very fortunate that I live in the Solent area with such a high concentration of wrecks. For me it is not the wrecks themselves but the wildlife that lives on the wreck that I enjoy.

Anyway the next dive is on the 28th March and is the Tanks and Bulldozers to be taken out by Southern Coastal Charters with Skipper Simon. I believe a wreck with lots on nooks and crannies for sea life. A first time dive for me on this wreck, so hopefully good weather to dive, good viz and a bit warmer! Note to self: new batteries for torch.

Here is the weblink to the diving video:Luis & Bembridge Ledges Drift March 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment