Sunday 11 September 2011

12th February 2011 diving off Poor Knights Island, New Zealand


Sadly I look forward to this dive for about a year before we go to New Zealand and it never works out well. This time it appeared to be worse as I struggle with high air consumption. I can hear it in the video of the first dive. I am not sure what causes it, maybe the jet lag, which at the time seems fine or maybe I am tired after the journey from Auckland to Tutukaka.

I dive with the dive company Dive Tutukaka and this time when out on the boat El Tigra. The first dive was at a place called Northern Arch although I did not have a very long dive 22 minute with max depth of 25 metres.

We have a pretty full on itinerary when we get to New Zealand and maybe this is the penalty. I was please to see that I had improved by the second dive and was able to really enjoy Crystal cave.

I have a feeling that the style of diving at the first dive being wall diving, for want of better word, does not suit me. I seem to like a bottom, and not keep worrying about keeping a controlled depth. Equally with my bad right leg I can only swim slowing so starting off with a surface swim is rather exhausting way to start a dive.

I also have a problem with the small 11 litre aluminium cylinders they use here. One small compared to my 15 litre. Two I find that aluminium cylinders are light at the end of a dive and have trouble controlling my assent. The dive people just cannot believe the amount of lead I need to sink. I guess that it because I bring my own wetsuit and it has twice the amount of thickness around my body. Then I guess I am getting use to the rest of the kit, BCD and DVs!!

A poor workman always blames his tools!
Anyway check out the video by the link below.

No comments:

Post a Comment